A couple of years ago I read an article about the paygap. When analyzing the gap between salaries of men and women, one third was attributed to the fact that women negotiate differerently. Okay, differently sounds too optimistic, the article actually said we are bad negotiators.
There would be little I could do about the other two thirds that were defined as discriminatory and the other one due to several circumstances, but having read this I felt it's time to take action and self-responsibility.
I visited a workshop and looked at various books that were interesting, but the most eye opening and motivating book was Babcock and Laschever's "Why women don't ask. The high cost of avoiding negotiation - and positive strategies for change."
This book changed my life. And my wallet. Literally! Within the first 4 months after having read it, I saved around 23'000.- CHF! Most of it, I admit, was at work, but my "negotiation muscle" did a major workout! The best part of it is that I use the strategies until today and have meanwhile held workshops myself on the topic.
One of the strategies purely consists of asking at all! This may sound mundane but honestly, for me this was a first step out of my comfort zone! And the key point of actually trying - and knowing that there's nothing to loose (worst case you pay the full price) but rather a lot to win is pretty encouraging!
You can find the book in most libraries or on amazon.
In my local library they had to first order it - but I told them they absolutely SHOULD have one copy on their self! ;)
The same authors have published a second book, to follow-up. I am currently reading it and promise to tell you more about it once I finished reading. :-)
I'm a big fan of these authors so let me advertise them here. Below you can access the books on amazon for immediate purchase.
Do you have an important negotiation upcoming and would like to have a sparring partner to prepare for it? Let's talk!
Passionize your career and plan your next career stepWe spend a remarkable amount of our life time at work, so it is worthwhile reassessing why we do what we do and make a plan where we are going. It’s an important element of your life and how you design it, therefore it’s worth having a more wholistic look at this. There is a lot of talks about monetizing your passion, but how do you get there? Do you have an entrepreneurial personality or will you feel best in a more structured environment? In this workshop you will get to know yourself better and we will design the job of your dreams and elaborate a masterplan how you get it. Working in a small group, will leave us enough space for individual reflection as well as allow us using the power of crowd intelligence. You’ll walk out with a bag full of ideas and concrete to do’s to achieve your next steps, after a morning full of insights and inspiration! Thursday, April 25th 2019, 9:00 – 12:00h at WeSpace Coworking, Bahnhofstrasse 62, 8001 Zürich “If you don’t live your dreams, you damage society.” I heard this interesting statement some time ago and quickly realized how true it is, and how often I see this in my coachings. With this workshop I bring together my coaching knowledge on the right mindset to deal with change and uncertainty, and my passion for helping my clients achieve their goal! This workshop is for you, if:
- You feel you want to do a next step, but are unclear where your journey should lead you.
- You ask yourself whether you would like to move from employee to entrepreneur
- You have a rough idea of what you would like to do, but don’t know where to start
- You are a curious and growth oriented individual and like to get to know yourself better.
- You intuitively suspect that more passion would make work more fun!
- You are at the beginning or in the middle of your career!
- A clearer vision on your purpose and how to achieve it
- A GPI® Personality test, which we will discuss in the context of your goals
- An overview of various strategies, how you can work on your next career step
- Tipps, tricks and tools you can immediately apply
- An evaluation of your resources and your network – you’ll see how many resources you have!
- Insights on how your mindset works, the number 1 obstacle on your way to live your dreams.
- An interactive mix of input and participation
- Specific and personalized guidance on your next (career)steps
- Your time, one of your most valuable assets!
- 250. - CHF
- 175. - CHF for WeSpace members, members of SEABRAND Partner organizations
- 175.- CHF if you previously visited the January workshop on goalsetting or “your next job” in 2018
- I am serial entrepreneur, founder of SEABRAND International and Sexy Little Bag
- I believe that the key is to look at the whole human, even when the focus is purely business oriented. I have an MBA from University of St. Gallen and continuously educate me on the newest insights on coaching and psychology
- My passion for international work has led me to live in four countries and travel to more than 55 countries. I am a passionate lecturer of intercultural management, strategy and leadership topics.
- A life without coffee and chocolate would make no sense to me.